July 7, 2008 What's that? A purple poodle!

July 7, 2008

What’s that? A purple poodle!

I do creative grooming competitively, so when Alice Rollins asked me if I had any kid safe dogs I could bring to the free petting zoo at McDonald Park, I said “Sure! What color?” I took Jasmine for a walk after coloring her Saturday, and she stopped traffic, literally! Three cars stopped in the middle of the road and people jumped out with camera phones!
One woman said, “I'm putting this on my MySpace page!”
Little kids fell in love with her, people went crazy for her color and passersby smiled, honked, waved.
She was a HUGE hit on Sunday in the park! She upstaged all the goats, geese, rabbits, donkeys, mini horses, chickens and a box turtle too, (sorry people).
They forgot to make signs for the free petting zoo, so Jo Pugh hurried up to make some while I just walked Jasmine up and down the sidewalk, by the highway... she STOPPED TRAFFIC! Heads were turning as people were driving. I was waiting for someone to hit a pole or building!
Cars pulled over to the curb, which by the way is no place to stop people, it's a HIGHWAY! No matter, people whipped out their cell phone cameras and snapped away.
There were so many comments on the purple poodle and she had her picture taken many times, with little kids loving on her. One little boy who was terrified of dogs after his Grandpa's beagle bit him recently, I told his mom, that's why I brought her, she's good therapy for this...and proceeded to ask him, “Have you ever seen a purple dog?” “No” he replied, as he shudders and scoots away from her. I said, “Well you don't have to worry, she won't bite you, she LOVES kids! How can you be afraid of something that looks like this? Just feel how soft she is” ...he reaches out...tentatively, she turns to lick him and he jumps back, I said “Oh, she’s saying don't stop petting me now!” He reached down and started petting her again.
Several minutes later, after he had visited with all the other animals, I was chatting with someone and I turn and look and that same little boy who is terrified of dogs, is standing there with all the confidence in the world, petting Jasmine on the head! I looked at his mom and smiled, she looked grateful!
I told her I wouldn't bring a dog that wasn't safe.
A little boy with Down's syndrome climbed all over her, literally! She loved it.
Music was playing, I was asked to dance to jazz up the crowd, and I told Alice “Ha! Fat chance, but Jasmine will.” I got some treats and she put on quite the show! What a dog!
She did tricks, I had some kids hand her treats that were afraid of dogs...yep, she's a therapy dog for sure.
I met the world’s cutest and sweetest Chihuahua named Chico who belonged to the mini donkey and horse owner that would win a best kisser award hands down! I would've taken him home! Her husband told me his wife would get rid of him before she got rid of that dog! I don't blame her!
Sheltie Rescue of Greater Lafayette participated and brought adoptable dogs to the park for people to pet and meet, hopefully to get a new forever home.
Our wonderful public library was also there handing out tattoos for the children. You know it’s a sign of the times when a little boy heard they were passing out tattoos and he turned to me and asked, “Do they have needles?” I assured him they were only stick-on tattoos and he wouldn’t feel any pain.
Overall, it was a beautiful day!
Everybody is so busy and it never ceases to amaze me at all the wonderful people we have here in Attica that are willing to put in their time and energy to put on activities like this for our kids. Alice Rollins is a jewel to Attica, she works tirelessly to put things together for the community and help beautify and appreciate our town. I love that we had such a wonderful turnout of people not only to visit the petting zoo, but also to take the time, energy and gasoline to bring those wonderful critters to the park for everyone to see. Those people are jewels as well because they care enough to do something positive for the community with no compensation other than seeing the smiles on the little faces that pet their animals.
I learned that everyone has a story to tell about themselves, and their life. I’m always amazed at the strength some people have after tragedy in their lives. One woman told me about how she had a bad day one day and while wallowing in self-pity and comfort food at a restaurant, she decided to turn it around and told the cashier as she was leaving, I’m paying for their meal too, don’t tell them who did it. She paid for a complete stranger’s meal, and you know what? It made her feel better. Her bad day turned into a good one by that random act of kindness. It didn’t end there, all the frustration she was feeling was about a test she was sure she didn’t pass, but it turns out that she did. I love to see good things happen to good people.
Maybe the next time you see someone on the street, instead of just looking and automatically passing judgment, think about the story in his or her life, because we all have one. You may be amazed to find out just how strong, kind, or wise they are. Think about your own life, how can you turn your tragedies into triumphs? Reach out to your community and pay it forward. You’ll be amazed at the impact you’ll have. Sometimes it can be as simple as a purple poodle putting a smile on a little boy’s face that was afraid of dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!