5/24/10 I have ARRIVED!


I have ARRIVED!

You know you are a creative groomer when photos of your creations stir up people and they feel the need to tell you how you are abusing your dog and being cruel. I’ve seen comments on creative grooming from some very uninformed people who think that coloring and cutting designs in the dog’s hair is the epitome of animal abuse. Nothing could be further from the truth of course, but how can we change the public’s perspective and let them see how very loved and pampered our dogs are?

TLC has made a pilot of a new show called Extreme Poodles that will air June 13th. It features some of the top creative groomers. I am hoping that this show, instead of sensationalizing and dramatizing our art, shows that we do love our dogs and we most certainly are not abusing them. I’m a little skeptical, only because the only run-ins I’ve had with the media have been the opposite. If it’s not exciting enough, they’ll make it exciting. The media likes to cut out the boring truthful messages, and highlight the controversy. I guess that’s what sells and pays the bills.

I am friends with many of the creative groomers that I compete with and one lady in particular, Sandy Hartness whose creations are probably more well known has received death threats by some over zealous animal rights enthusiasts who think what she does is wrong. My question is which is worse, a dog neglected, tied out on a chain that gets no attention or a pampered poodle who happily enjoys grooming and showing off?

The people who are sending the hate messages seem to think that we don’t allow our dogs to be dogs. All they see are the photos. They have no idea how or where this animal lives, or how it spends the rest of its non-creative life back at home. Somehow I think their minds may change if they would only listen. But you can’t make people listen.

Sandy Hartness tells me that it’s official, I am now a member of “the club” since I received my hate mail. “Yes! I’ve arrived!” I told her, because she tells me you have to be good to get people to do this. One of the “greats” in creative grooming thinks I’m “good”. Wow, that is the biggest compliment I can receive!

Due to the new TLC show about creative grooming, of course there are others who are airing their take on it. For instance, at the Knoxville show I just attended, ABC’s “Nightline” was there filming our competition. I’m anxious to see how they view it, or if their story will only stir up more controversy. If you see a couple of cute dogs who look like Clydesdales pulling a “Pupweiser” cart on “Nightline”, that would be us. We took second place in our division. The “Today” show will also have a couple of competitors on their show in the near future.

The funny thing is, creative grooming has been around since 1900 when a groomer first started carving designs into the hair of the dogs he groomed. It may go back earlier than that. I have seen photos of his work and considering no electric clippers back then? AMAZING! I’m actually proud to be part of this elite club of artists, so I’ll take my hate mail as a compliment, and smile knowing that my dogs don’t hate me, and because of what I do, they are living a good life, anyone who knows me can testify to that.

4 comments:

  1. These dogs look beautiful. As long as the groomer is kind and loving by creating an experience that's enjoyable so they feel special, I don't find anything wrong with them having fancy haircuts. Abuse is forcing an act on the animal that is not necessary. This is where I would draw the line. If the experience is dreadful for the animal then it shouldn't be performed keep the care basic, brushing, shampooing, and basic cuts for the breed. Other wise that's torchering. But if you have a dog that enjoys being pamapered, than they'll look forward to the attention given. My Gracie loves to be brushed and will even tell me she wants a bath by putting her legs over the bath tub. I realize not all dogs like to be groomed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, seriously? Abuse? You've got to be joking. It's not painful, the products used are non-toxic .... Ooooo the dog might have to sit still for a long time! Wow I think that is AWEFUL! C'mon people get a clue. The dog gets washed, bathed and groomed. So the grooming takes a bit longer than a dog getting ready to be in a show for their breed. Which I will add, a lot of 'breed cuts' are traditional yes but some are just as ridiculous if not more so than these artistic cuts, and who is to say which cuts a dog would be embarrassed about or proud to flaunt???? Besides that, I guarantee that these dogs 1) Get their shots. 2) Get fed well and regularly. 3) Get groomed and cared for better than most 'pets' because they are going to be put on display. 4) Get regular check ups because showing requires it if nothing else. 5) Never sleep outside or in the dirt or cold because that would be bad for their coat if for no other reason. Heck, MOST dogs love this kind of attention and if you are going to say these dogs being pampered don't let them be a dog then why don't you berate; Police dogs, carriage dogs, firehouse dogs, show dogs, hunting dogs, seeing eye dogs ... in fact any kind of training or activity that requires a dog to do anything on command, or to do what it would not be doing if not trained and told what to do and when. I.E. pull a sled or a cart, go rescue people in the Alps, run into the line of fire to save a human, walk through an airport to sniff out drugs, traverse through brush to retrieve a duck, tree a raccoon, heard sheep through an obstacle course, learn to dance to music, or CONSTANTLY watch out for and take care of the disabled person in their charge. If a dog can be happy in those types of DEMANDING jobs or activities which are HARD, why can a dog not be happy getting loved and BATHED and pampered?????? Because it might have to sit STILL???? Seriously people, get a life and stop pestering people and their pets who are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People don't realize the amount of time you put into the coat over the course of 6 months to a year to get a coat nice enough to do this sorta thing on. Plus they don't realize that the dogs absoultely LOVE it. I worked in a salon for a few years where I could take my dog to work, his favorite place in the salon (other than under my feet) was on the table. When I was busy he'd be on the spare table lying down watching because he knows when he's on that table he gets special attention focused only on him. I would love to do one of the horse styles on him because everyone always ask me "is that a dog or a horse?" or "U could put a saddle on it and ride it". However when he grows coat out he gets super hot and I just can't stand him panting and everything. What most people don't know is that some of the groomers especially with the poodles will take and do a shave down after judging and let the dog be a dog for a while before starting a new coat for the next contest. Oh I wanted to ask what breed your clydestales were? Part of me says old english sheepdogs and then part of me says most everything is always poodles. Your very talented, don't be discouraged by the nay-sayers because when you hear the negative comments there are at least ten positive comments that just were stated as loudly. Best wishes to you and your dogs.
    Kelly Rossi and Noodle
    North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are Standard Poodle Kelly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!