April 21, 2008 Groomer Has It!

April 21, 2008

Groomer Has It!

Just when you thought there could not be any other reality type show made, Animal Planet has come up with a new one about dog groomers, “Groomer Has It!” The first thought when I heard about this is, “Great! Now people will finally know what it’s like to be a groomer and will appreciate us more.” Then, after chatting online with other groomers and seeing the previews of the show, we started to get a little worried. Umm, this isn’t what it’s really like, at least not from what we’ve seen so far. Now in grooming competitions, I’ve seen the model dog competitions where groomers use yarn dogs (stuffed animals) and I know that it takes 2 to 3 hours just to brush out the yarn to get it ready to cut! On the show, they gave them 3 hours total to brush, cut and dye it, which was tough. Not to mention using your good shears on the yarn dogs will ruin them. (I have talked to groomers who have competed in this competition.) The next preview on TV was showing them shearing sheep. Now, I will say I have done that….once. Not EVEN close to grooming dogs! Therefore, I am still waiting for the “reality” of this program to show the world what groomers do.
I have also seen a little preview of the groomers working on some snapping, biting dogs…that’s a little closer to reality! I hope they show some real life grooming of what most groomers get each day, but then again that would change the world of entertainment and then it would turn into an “Animal Cops” episode instead, of neglected, matted dogs.
The cool thing about this show is I remember the casting company emailing grooming groups and offering auditions. I can’t say I personally know any of the groomers on this show, but I do know of an alternate that did not make it on this time, but hopefully next time, his grooming will blow them all away!
I was particularly impressed with the groomer who works for the rich and famous of New York and charges $100 to groom a yorkie. Why can’t I get that much? Too bad celebrities don’t live around here. I know Oprah’s groomer, and I know what he gets to groom her cockers (now only one) weekly. Let’s just say I could live on doing one of her dogs a day. I wonder what she gives him for Christmas?
The grand prize of this grooming competition is a mobile grooming van with all the extras, which on top of everything else would be a sweet deal. Although with the gas prices now, I’m not so sure the groomer would come out ahead. This brings me to my next point, the cost of doing business.
On the bottom of an invoice from a repairman was this paragraph that read:
“When that professional service technician knocks on your door, many costs have been incurred just to get him there, ready to do the job.Then it lists: insurance, specialized training, periodic courses and training, truck maintenance, test equipment, taxes- Soc. Sec.- Emp. Comp., advertising, trucks, tools, warehouse shop and office rent quality control, stock of replacement parts, utilities, service management administration,office equipment, computerization, business expense - lawyers etc., employee benefits, office help, and finally stationary, office supply and postage.” It finishes with, “Don't judge service charges solely by the time the technician spends in your home or business”.

Of course, I had to relate this to pet grooming so I came up with my own thoughts:

“When you take your pet to a pet groomer, and are shocked by the price of just washing a dog, think of this...
Many costs have been incurred to open up shop and help your groomer be the caliber groomer she is.
Liability insurance, specialized training, ongoing education and training, travel to get to the ongoing education, equipment costs, maintenance costs, tools, shampoos, conditioners, hair care products, ear cleaning products, bows, bandannas, assortment of brushes, combs, shedding equipment, stripping knives, ergonomic equipment to help preserve the back of your groomer so they can have a long career, taxes, advertising, space rental or home mortgage if your groomer works out of their home, office supplies and computers and equipment to keep your groomer informed and on top of her game, internet fees, telephone expenses, utilities, postage, uniforms, cages and kenneling costs, cleaning supplies, disinfecting supplies, numerous blades for each clipper, expensive scissors, books, videos, and vitamins for the stamina it takes to get through each day grooming several dogs. Groomers have the knowledge of dog body language to work with difficult animals, and the “know how” do the job right and safely, and a willingness to handle the person on the end of each leash with a smile daily.
Don't judge charges solely by the time the groomer spends on your dog. “

Now THAT’S reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!