May 5, 2008 Time's Are Changing for All of Us

May 5, 2008

Time’s Are Changing for All of Us

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had it with the gas prices and even though I work at home and don’t have to commute to work, I still can’t afford to buy gas! Buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle may save me on gasoline, but I’d lose whatever savings on a car payment and extra insurance and plates. This crisis has us all in a lose/lose situation. I want all my clients to know… I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Luckily, I’m just a groomer that works from home. I’m wondering how the mobile groomers are making it with the $4.00 + per gallon gasoline prices or diesel, even worse!
Sadly, because of our economy, this means prices on EVERYTHING have to go up, which of course, affects how we all maintain our standard of living. I didn’t want to be another nail in the coffin, but I had to raise my prices to keep up. It had been 4 years since I had a price increase and as expected, some of my clients aren’t taking the news well.
I did come up with a few options though to help those who in the financial crunch so the pets they love won’t suffer too much. Stretching out the length between appointments can help those on a monthly or 6 week schedule. Moving them to every 8 weeks instead, I am happy to do.
For those with larger dogs that can’t or don’t want to get them done at home, I am now offering self-service, which is great because they can get their dog done for less than half the normal price, but they provide the labor. I provide everything else. Go ahead, clog my drain, and make a big mess! I’ll clean it up. This isn’t an option for dogs in need of haircuts, but for dogs that need a bath and brush out, this is a great deal! Using a self-serve option means your dog, and the aroma in your home won’t have to suffer because of the extra burden on your budget.
Finding a groomer closer to where you live is also an option. I know several groomers and I will be happy to refer you to one closer to you. My feelings won’t be hurt. I completely understand!
My parents were in their 60’s when they adopted me. They had raised their four children during the depression. I have heard all the stories of living on beans and rice and trying to find work just so they could eat. All of those stories seemed so unreal to me until recently. Now that I’m a parent, I can see the great depression coming at us again. Our economy affects everybody and every business. People were struggling before gasoline went so high, now they are losing their homes, unable to afford their medications and I’m waiting on the soup line to start forming soon.
I know that people who dearly love their pets will struggle and continue to provide for them, but I also know others who will be dumping their pets off in the country. Animal shelters are turning away owner surrenders due to lack of space, and wanting people to face their own responsibility. I can certainly see the point, but I also know that there are so many people out there that are barely getting by, it will soon get to the point of being unable to provide food and shelter for themselves, let alone their pets. The future to me looks scary for those animals and people.
I wonder if my future grandchildren will look upon the stories I tell them of our “great recession” as just stories, with no real idea of what I could be complaining about. I would imagine that by the time I have grandkids, and can pass along my wisdom and stories of the depressing economical era that I raised kids in; gasoline would be WAY more than $4.00 per gallon. They will probably wonder why I ever complained at all.
I guess the point I’m trying to make is that we are all in the same boat together. (Even though right now, that boat seems to be the Titanic) no matter who you are or how much money you make, this economy is hitting us all hard.
I’m hoping soon things will turn around for the better and we can get back on our feet again. Until then, try to keep your chin up and do the best you can. I’m here for a shoulder if you need one, and I’ll try to keep from gasping and muttering expletives at the gas pump. Just remember that no matter what happens in your life, or how rich or poor you are, your dog loves you regardless. Give your pooch a hug! After all, petting your dog or cat has been shown to lower blood pressure. Maybe we should pack our pets in the car when we fill up the car next time so we don’t have a stroke at the pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!