Adventures in Hershey, PA

Hello all! Back from Hershey and wanted to give you a LONG but interesting account of the happenings that I went there for. I did not compete this time (I'm so not worthy of this group!) but I went to watch it and see how it's done Hershey style.
So we started out on my birthday, September 17th...a lovely EARLY morning...those of you who know me well, know how much of a morning person I am....

So this is what they call sunrise? Highly overrated!



Beautiful Pennsylvania countryside...at a more decent hour.


We arrived Thursday evening and intended to do the town Hershey and visit the Chocolate World etc. On Friday. When we got to Chocolate World on Friday, we were greeted by the security guard telling us that Chocolate World and Hershey Park were CLOSED due to a power failure, this was the 2nd day. AAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!
11 hours we drove, and this brings back memories of our other infamous vacations ala the Griswold family from Chevy Chase's vacation movies! Lol!
Ok so plan B, we went to check out groom expo and shop! Not a bad plan B if you ask me.
The family was not so happy.
But Friday thankfully Hershey's Chocolate world was up and running and we had a ball!!!
I highly recommend this tour and the trolley tour if you've never taken it, it's an awesome history of a man that was truly a saint and worked hard for the welfare of children when he made the Hershey school and I even met a present student and her family who were staying at our hotel there. She had a family weekend. Really cool story (and everybody has one don't we?, more on mine later....)




Trolley tour of the Hershey school...fountain in front of it.
Seriously awesome place! All marble!

Then it was off to Chocolate world where we took in a 3D show which was wonderful! A chocolate "tasting" educational about chocolate, where it comes from, how it's used etc. Fascinating! A wonderful homeschooling subject for the day!


Lane and Drew in front of the Reece's race car.

Then we had some more time to kill that afternoon so we went on a cave tour nearby...






Again more educational stuff for their little heads...gotta love educational vacations!
Ok ok I know I'm keeping you in suspense, you want to see pictures of creative right????
First they had the model dog contest, and I only managed to get one photo...what a crowd!
But our Kathleen Putman recreated her carousel horse she did in creative years ago with a model dog! AWESOME!


Bear with me, not all the photos are wonderful, but it was seriously crowded and getting photos was like becoming a contortionist, I'm sorry if I don't have flattering shots of all you lovely people.

Anatomy of dog entry


This was a favorite of mine, it's NOT a poodle!!! A Great Pyranees made into a cow...
She even did a milking demo, a baby bottle hidden behind the dog and squeezed...lol!
This entry got 2nd place! Hard to do competing with poodles! I loved it! She did a great job capturing the poll on the head, the square butt of a cow etc. And of course the udder.
I thought it was wonderful!



A dolphindoodle...I liked this one! Beautiful!

 a lab! Made into a sort of harry potter creature..
Sorry I'm not up on my harry potter.


Vikings!

Mardi Gras, one side..

And the other side.

A rainbow colored crayoodle! Taking a break...

This was nicely done! Legs were crayons...I loved the rainbow hair on his head
Reminded me of those clown wigs...very nice coloring!

Hidden from view, her props always over the top, ya gotta love Angela Kumpe

Her peacock!

Not sure if the dog or her outfits were more impressive lol!A beautiful job, took 3rd place!


Poodles were born to be wild!


The winner of peoples choice AND first place a total of $5,500 went to Lori Craig! I got a second to talk with her before the contest, she's very sweet and down to earth! I really LIKE HER!!!
Of course she did this and took first in Atlanta, told me she did very well in Dallas, don't know what placing that means...
And first in Hershey...I took several pics of her, I was in AWE!

Me thinks Lori needs some anti-monkey butt powder!
Lol! Do do do do...the lion sleeps tonight.....




She did an entire opening scene of the Lion King, she was the baboon and
Held up the lion baby to Mufasa!
She had gazelles, cheetahs etc it was WONDERFUL!!!
Seriously, you could make a play from this...she did awesome!


Lion attack?
Congrats to ALL the contestants they ALL did a wonderful job!!!


Alegheny mountains...

Ahh sunset! That's more my speed!

Goodbye beautiful Pennsylvania....


Then back towards home, but first a pit stop in West Virginia to meet the woman who was "almost" my birth mom. When I was looking for my birth family back in 1992, I ran across a woman the same name, age, area etc. But was the wrong person, however we chatted and kept in touch and she told me, you could've been mine, in 1968 I had a miscarriage, and she has always considered herself my "other" mother. I found my birth mom the next year
Meet Kathy Dunlap, my other mom and my sister from another mother Kathanna and girls...


Me and my hubby and other mom.
All in all a pretty good trip considering how it started off!
But on the way home Drew did manage to get sick in the car...too much mcdonalds grease I'm sure...bleegh.
I guess we can't get in a vacation without some vile thing happening to us...lol!
Some of you remember my trip to Florida several years ago when we all got the flu...jeeze that was bad!
So there you have it! Enjoy your day!
Love,

Sandy



Sandy Blackburn
The Groom Room Pet Spa
1205 S. Brady St.
Attica, IN 47918
(765) 764-4330
www.groomroompetspa.com

http://groomroompetspa.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Sandy, sorry I didn't get to chat more before ,It was great to see you there. Thanks for the compliments on my lion it means alot to me. Looks like the family had a wonderful time. Hope to see you again soon. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Very interesting...loved the pix!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!