August 31, 2009 About Creative Grooming….

You know, I've had people who've seen my dog’s hair dyed and carved who love it and look forward to each new design, and I've had others who liken it to animal cruelty. I just want to clear a few things up for the naysayers. First of all, nothing harmful is ever used on the dogs. If it’s not safe for them, there is no way we would ever use it. We use things like food color, chalk, colored hair sprays, non-toxic blo-pens, animal safe dyes, and yes even human semi-permanent hair dyes, but nothing with any potential for a problem.
I've also heard people say that the animals must be ashamed of themselves or how they look, but it’s just the opposite! I know Jasmine is very happy to be “in color” so to speak because that automatically makes her a magnet for attention! Since she’s an attention hog anyway, this is right up her alley! In fact, although after our contest she was “dog tired” and I do mean TIRED! When we went to the area for the photographer this dog came to life instantly and LEAPED onto the table ready to have her picture taken! She’s also quite the camera hog, and most nights, a bed hog.
I've heard some people say the animals don't like it. Well if they didn't like it, I can assure you we wouldn't be able to do it very easily. In fact, the creative groomers I've met would never be able to use a dog that didn't like being groomed.
Those that think it’s torture for the dogs to be groomed need to be aware of a few things, first of all, we are groomers and although we sometimes require the dogs to stand for a while, no dogs that are old, in pain or have issues would ever be permitted to be in the contests. In fact, no dog over 10 years old is allowed to compete in any grooming contest.
Now my dogs are not fond of baths in general, is yours? However they tolerate them well enough to get to the fun part, getting up on the table and being dried and fussed with which is their favorite! Jasmine will also jump up on my table without commands, just to get to the good stuff! If she gets tired, we stop and take a break. After all, she has the easy part, standing or lying on the table. I am the one doing all the work!
I think my favorite comment was someone saying the dogs should be “natural” like they are shown at the Westminster dog show. Here’s a little secret, there is not much natural about dogs at dogs shows. I've seen more dyes and “make-up” applied to even beagles there that the word “natural” and “dog shows” just doesn't make a lot of sense. It may not make it “right” or “fair”, but it’s reality. In essence, it’s a beauty contest and flaws are covered. More time is spent “grooming” a natural looking breed such as a boxer at a dog show than your groomer spends on your not so natural looking poodle.
So what is really the harm in a little color on your pooch? As long as it’s safe for the dog, and the dog and the owner enjoy it, why should it be considered wrong? Groomers who do creative grooming have the most pampered and loved dogs in the world, far better than someone who neglects grooming entirely on their pet and lets them suffer. Creative grooming is artistic expression and it’s fun for dogs, owners and groomers. It’s worth it for me to see the smiles on people’s faces, and the look of joy on my dog’s face when she receives extra attention for her “look” and she’s not complaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!